What is an Americano?
The Americano, also known as the Caffè Americano is one of the most popular coffee beverages in the United States of America. It’s essentially an espresso-based drink but is combined with hot water instead of steamed or foamed milk. One reason for the popularity of this beverage is its perceived healthiness and lightness when compared to other coffee-based drinks such as lattes and cappuccinos etc.
How did the Americano come about?
The concept of the Americano emerged during the Second World War when American soldiers in Italy were put off by the strong local espresso, so they started mixing in hot water to dilute the taste and make it more similar to what they had at home. This drink soon spilled over to cafes all across the world as it was a way for people to drink a couple of shots of espresso without the overpowering bitterness.
An Americano is also a more affordable option when compared to most coffee beverages in the U.S at an average price of $2.62 which is 8 cents less than the average cup of coffee at $2.70.
What’s the perfect water-to-espresso ratio?
Well, unfortunately, there’s no right answer or magic number that I can give you for the “perfect” Americano because it all depends on YOU. Everyone has different tastes and preferences, so the perfect ratio depends on your taste palette with some trial and error. However, here are some general guidelines that can give you a good starting point:
- For a single shot of espresso (~7-10 grams of coffee beans), use 92 grams of hot water.
- For a double shot of espresso (~14-18 grams of coffee beans), use 183 – 230 grams of hot water.
- For a triple shot of espresso (~20 grams of coffee beans), use 235 – 400 grams of hot water.
The ranges in the measurements for hot water above show the difference in preferences between stronger and lighter coffees so you can adjust according to your needs. Another way to look at it could be the 2:1 ratio, two shots of water to 1 shot of espresso!
How do you make an Americano?
To make an Americano, all you really need is an espresso machine and hot water.
Here are five easy steps to make the perfect Americano:
- Make espresso shots according to your preference in an espresso machine,
- Heat water up to approximately 180 degrees Fahrenheit,
- Add hot water to a cup of your choice,
- Mix in espresso shots,
- Add in any extras like honey, sugar, cinnamon, or just enjoy as it is!
And there you go, your Americano is ready!
Now that you know how to make an Americano, you can experiment with the different water-espresso ratios until you find YOUR perfect match!