The Keurig K-Select is the perfect combination of simple controls and fast, nearly instant, brewed coffee. It’s a great machine for those looking for a stable, single-serving coffee brewer. From the simple user interface to the consistent flavor in every cup, the Keurig K-Select is a great Keurig for any home or office.
Overall Score: 4.0/5
The quality of this machine parallels the quality of other single-serving coffee makers. The machine is capable of brewing delicious coffee very quickly.
This machine is an excellent investment for anyone looking to pick up a simple, no-frills Keurig at a great price.
The K-Select isn’t the most stylish Keurig on the market, but it’s definitely not the ugliest coffee maker out there. We think Keurig has room to improve on this point.
The Keurig K-Select is a rather large Keurig brewer, especially compared to some of its recent additions to the product line. You’ll just want to make some extra room on your counter for this machine.
- Strong mode – The inclusion of a strong mode will make bold coffee lovers excited; pressing that button before brewing will guarantee you’ll end up with a stronger cup
- 52 oz. removable water reservoir – As water reservoirs go, this is a pretty big one. It will keep you brewing for longer between fill-ups
- <1 minute brew time – This Keurig is capable of brewing a full cup of coffee in less than 60 seconds
- A few color options – With four color options, there’s a design that will match nearly every kitchen
- Simple interface – The button-only interface is perfect for coffee lovers looking for a simple way to make their morning coffee
- A bit noisy – Most Keurig machines rumble quite a bit when the warm up and brew, but it’s nothing that will wake the neighbors
- Large countertop footprint – The K-Select is one of the larger Keurig machines, so be sure you have the room before purchasing
The coffee maker comes in four color variants: Navy, Matte Black, Matte White, and Vintage Red. Although the color palette isn’t as diverse on this machine as it is on other Keurig brewers, every color looks great on this sleek device.
The overall design of the machine is very similar to other Keurig machines in the current product line. The shape is almost identical to other Keurig machines. It’s a larger machine, taking up 9.2” x 11.6” on your counter and needs at least 12.5” of clearance to be able to fit under your cabinets. If you’re interested in a Keurig, but are tight on space, be sure to check out the Keurig K-Mini Plus. It’s one of the latest machines from Keurig and offers a very petite footprint.
The Keurig K-Select has an incredibly simple user interface. Each brew size has its own dedicated button, which is perfect for those looking for simplicity and ease of use. The coffee maker can brew four different sizes: 6, 8, 10, and 12 ounces. If you’re a fan of bold coffee, there is a button labeled “Strong” that will make your coffee pack a serious punch. The machine can be turned on by a prominent power button at the top of the control panel. Under the power button, there are three indicator lights. These are for Auto Off, Add Water, and Descale.
The Auto Off indicator will be illuminated by default when you turn your machine on. This setting will automatically turn the K-Select off after 2 hours of inactivity. This gives you great peace of mind; no more worrying if you turned the coffee maker off before you left to run errands. The Auto Off feature can also be turned off by following the instructions that come with the coffee maker.
The Add Water indicator will come on when the water reservoir doesn’t have enough water left for the machine to brew your next cup of coffee. To get the Keurig brewing again, you’ll want to fill the reservoir up to the MAX line. Once you’ve done that, the Add Water indicator will turn off and you can begin brewing your coffee.
The Descale indicator will illuminate when it’s time for you to descale your machine. Scale is buildup of minerals inside your machine. We will cover the descaling process a bit further on in this review.
The water reservoir on this machine holds a whopping 52 ounces. This means you can brew 5 full cups of coffee without having to refill. The water reservoir on this machine is completely removable, making refilling a breeze. When the machine starts to run low on water, the Add Water light will illuminate to let you know it’s time to fill it back up.
Removable Drip Tray
Removable drip trays are becoming pretty standard on single-serving coffee makers. The Keurig K-Select is no exception; the drip tray completely removes from the machine for easy cleaning. An added benefit is that, without the drip tray, the K-Select can accommodate travel mugs up to 7.4 inches tall. With that clearance, you’ll be able to fit most of your travel mugs and take a fresh cup of coffee to go.
The brewed coffee quality from the Keurig K-Select is perfectly inline with the other Keurig in the current mode lineup. The machines are shockingly consistent in their ability to brew delicious coffee. One watch out is that, over time, your Keurig May have some difficulty brewing coffee due to mineral buildup inside the machine. Not to worry though; this problem is totally preventable (and fixable). We’ll describe descaling your machine later on in this review.
Setting up the Brewer
Getting started brewing with your Keurig K-Select is unbelievably simple. We’ll walk you through the steps so you can see how easy it will be to get started making fast, delicious coffee with your K-Select.
To prep your machine for your first cup of coffee, you’ll want to make sure you have a mug that is at least 12 ounces and place it on the drip tray. Next, remove the water reservoir and fill it to the MAX fill line. After securing the filled water reservoir, power on the machine. The brewer will begin heating the water. Usually this process is finished within around 3 minutes. Finally, lift and then lower the handle on the machine without inserting a K-Cup pod.
The cup size buttons will begin to blink. Press the small cup button to begin a cleansing brew. This will send hot water throughout your machine to cleanse it before you make your first real cup of coffee with the K-Select. You only have to do this when you open the machine the first time. After the machine finishes the cleanse, be sure to dispose of the water in the mug and get a new mug before brewing a cup of coffee. From here on, you can jump straight into brewing coffee when you turn on your Keurig.
Cleaning the Keurig K-Select is a pretty simple process. It comes down to a few key areas that need to be cleaned occasionally. The first areas are the obvious ones: the drip tray, the water reservoir, and the exterior of the machine.
The drip tray can hold up to 8 ounces of overflow before it begins to…well…overflow. Be sure to empty this occasionally to prevent spills. Luckily, the removable drip tray is dishwasher safe (top rack only) or can be cleaned with a damp, soapy, lint-free, non-abrasive cloth. This will keep your drip tray free of any bacteria or grossness.
The water reservoir and its lid can be washed in the dishwasher on the top rack. It can also be washed by hand. You’ll want to do this occasionally because you could see mineral buildup over time in the reservoir. Be sure to rinse the reservoir thoroughly after cleaning to remove any cleaning solutions that may have remained. Once you’ve rinsed the reservoir, flip it up with water and attach it to the K-Select. Be sure to not dry the reservoir after cleaning because lint could remain behind.
The exterior of the machine can be cleaned with a damp, soapy, non-abrasive cloth. This will keep your Keurig K-Select looking its best. Be sure to never immerse the brewer in water or other liquids.
Over the life of your machine, you may want to clean buildup from other areas of the brewer, like the K-Cup funnel or the exit needle. Be sure to consult the guide that comes with your machine for best practices on how to clean these areas.
The only maintenance item on the Keurig K-Select is to descale your machine every 3-6 months, depending on the hardness of your water. The more minerals you have in your water, the more frequently you should descale the brewer. This is super important because mineral buildup can greatly shorten the life of your coffee maker.
For Keurig machines, we like to use the Keurig Descaling Solution. We prefer it because it doesn’t have the odor or aftertaste of vinegar descaling solutions. However, you can always try a homemade vinegar and water concoction if that doesn’t bother you.
To get the most out of your new Keurig, you’ll want to check out some accessories that will make your morning coffee routine that much better. We’ve outlined a few products that we think will take your coffee game to the next level.
Customizing Your Brew
K-Cup Coffee Lover’s Variety Sampler (40 Count)
If you’re new to the Keurig family of systems, we highly recommend picking up a sampler of K-Cups. There are countless coffee brands out there in a dozen different coffee styles, so it’s hard to know what to try first. The Coffee Lover’s Variety Sampler comes with 40 K-Cups from 20 popular brands. It’s our choice for best sampler for a Keurig newbie.
- INCLUDES: 2 K-Cup pods from 20 popular varieties, including Green Mountain Coffee Breakfast Blend, The Original Donut Shop Regular, Newman's Own Organic Special Blend, Caribou Coffee Caribou Blend, Tully's Coffee Italian Roast, and many more
- VARIETY: Sample different coffees and discover your favorites from a wide variety of roasts, flavors, and brands
- COMPATIBILITY: Contains authentic Keurig K-Cup pods, engineered for guaranteed quality and compatibility with all Keurig K-Cup coffee makers
- PACKAGING: K-Cup Pods are not in original packaging and may appear different than in the image
Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter
Sometimes, countless brands and types of coffee aren’t enough. With the seemingly endless supply of amazing coffee roasters cropping up every year, being locked into K-Cups seems like a disservice to your taste buds. Luckily, Keurig agrees and developed the My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter. The device can be filled with ground coffee of your choosing and inserted into your Keurig, just as you would an ordinary K-Cup. The filter has two fill lines that are optimized for cup and travel mug sizes, so you never end up with a coffee that is too strong or too weak. It is super easy to clean and is top rack dishwasher safe.
- The only Keurig approved reusable filter designed for use in all Keurig home Coffee makers
- Make your own gourmet Coffee
- Incudes two fill lines; optimized for cup & Travel mug brew sizes
- Premium, durable construction
- Easy to use & easy to clean.BPA-free
One minor concern in Keurig ownership is where to store all of your favorite K-Cups. While the pantry works, it’s not nearly as accessible as having the coffee sitting on your counter right next to your brand new Keurig. Thankfully, some savvy entrepreneurs recognized this problem and created a variety of ways to store your K-Cups close to your brewer. Our favorite two storage solutions are broken out below.
The K-Cup Carousel is a new twist on the iconic carousel spice rack. This carousel is designed for K-Cups, specifically. It comes in chrome or powder-coated black, so you’ll be able to perfectly fit it into your kitchen decor. The carousel can hold up to 35 K-Cups and fluidly rotates so you can quickly select your desired K-Cup in the morning. We find the K-Cup Carousel to be our favorite carousel K-Cup storage solution.
- Holds up to 35 single serve coffee podss
- Lazy Susan base rotates 360 degrees
- Classy black powder-coat finish
- Quality construction built to last
- Dimensions - 13-inch height by 7-inch diameter
Mind Reader Triple Drawer K-Cup Holder
If you don’t want yet another counter-top container, like the carousel, then we recommend the Mind Reader Triple Drawer K-Cup Holder. The device is essentially a set of drawers that doubles as a stand for your new Keurig. We enjoy this K-Cup holder because it has three independent drawers, which allows you to get creative in replenishing your stash. Perhaps one drawer could be for decaf, one drawer for regular, and one drawer for your highly-caffeinated Death Wish Coffee. Overall, we think the Mind Reader Triple Drawer K-Cup Holder solves our K-Cup storage problem, hands down.
- Holds 36 keurig K-Cup/ Verismo/ Dolce Gusto/CBTL Single serve coffee pods
- Place your single serve coffee machine on top to save valuable counter space in your office or your home
- Six rows to help organize your favorite flavors
- Forget the cheap wire mesh holders with sticky drawers and flimsy construction
- Durable upscale plastic matches your Single Serve Coffee machine. You will barely notice its there
The quality of the water going into your Keurig greatly affects the life and maintenance on your machine. We’ve picked our top two favorite products to improve the longevity of your brand new Keurig.
Keurig Charcoal Filters (12 count)
Water has a surprisingly huge impact on the flavor of the final cup of coffee coming out of your brewer. It shouldn’t be too surprising, since coffee is largely made up of water, but if you have nasty tasting water, your coffee isn’t going to taste much better. Keurig wants all of their customers to experience the joy of a delicious morning coffee, so they designed the Keurig K55 with an optional carbon filter location. We recommend using the filter, regardless of your water quality, as it will yield the best tasting cup of coffee. There are several carbon filter manufacturers out there, but our pick is the perfect blend of price and total count.
- UNIVERSAL FIT (NOT CUISINART) - These Keurig compatible filters made by K&J will fit Keurig coffee makers, including Keurig 2.0 machines as well as Keurig Single Cup Reservoir Brewing and any of the following machinces: Elite,Classic, Ultra, Special Edition, Ultimate, Platinum, B40, and B70. WILL NOT FIT "KEURIG-CUISINART"
- MICROMESH MATERIAL - Ensures the charcoal stays in the filter and does not clog up your Keurig coffee maker. K&J is the highest quality of any filter currently sold!
- IMPROVES BEVERAGE FLAVOR - Removing impurities, calcium, chlorine, and odors with activated charcoal filters creates the best-tasting beverages.
- ECO-FRIENDLY PACKAGING - We ship your Keurig compatible filter replacements not in a bulky box, but individually sealed with minimal packaging.
- FINE-GRAIN CHARCOAL - Finer charcoal granules increase the surface area exposure to water and maximize the effective filtration. K&J makes the most effective replacement cartridge for a Keurig water filter on the market!
Keurig Descaling Solution
Even with high-quality, filtered water it is recommended that you descale your machine regularly with Keurig’s own descaling solution. This will drastically increase the life of your machine. By using the Keurig Descaling Solution instead of a vinegar-based concoction, you won’t have the terrible lingering vinegar smell or flavor in your coffee. Plus, Keurig bundles the solution with two extra carbon filters. We highly recommend the Keurig Descaling Solution for your Keurig; your coffee maker is an investment and you should take every measure to protect it.
- Incudes (1) Descale Solution and (1) 2 Pack of Water Filter Cartridge Refills
- Water Filters help remove chlorineand should be changed every 2 months
- Keurig Descaling Solution helps to etend the life of your brewer
- Compatible with all Keurig At Home brewing systems except the K10 mini
- Keep your brewer running at its' best